Drunk swimmers rescued from sea near Blackpool Tower at 4.30am

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A group of drunk swimmers had to be rescued from the sea in Blackpool after they were found splashing around in the water at 4.20am on Sunday (August 8).

 

Police and the coastguard were called out after four ‘intoxicated people’ were spotted recklessly putting their lives at risk in the sea near Blackpool Tower before dawn.

Lytham Coastguard swiftly mobilised its volunteer crew but when they arrived at the scene just minutes later, police had already helped the group to safety.

A Coastguard spokesman said: “We were called out twice yesterday, with the first callout coming through at 4.21am to reports of four intoxicated people in the water across from Blackpool Tower.

A group of drunk swimmers had to be rescued from the sea in Blackpool after they were found splashing around in the water at 4.20am on Sunday (August 8)A group of drunk swimmers had to be rescued from the sea in Blackpool after they were found splashing around in the water at 4.20am on Sunday (August 8)

“Just as we were arriving on scene, Blackpool Police assisted them back to safety.

“We strongly discourage people from entering the water after drinking alcohol. Water and alcohol do NOT mix.”

Lancashire Police have been approached for further details on the sea rescue.

Blackpool police officer and Audi driver injured in head-on crash

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A police officer and an Audi driver were injured in a crash in Blackpool at the weekend.

 

The head-on crash happened at the junction of Sherbourne Road and Claremont Road – a one-way street – at around 7.30pm on Saturday (August 7).

Both drivers suffered minor injuries and received treatment from ambulance crews at the scene, but no-one was taken to hospital.

Lancashire Police said its officer had not been responding to an emergency call at the time of the crash.

The head-on crash happened at the junction of Sherbourne Road and Claremont Road - a one-way street - at around 7.30pm on Saturday (August 7). Pic: GoogleThe head-on crash happened at the junction of Sherbourne Road and Claremont Road – a one-way street – at around 7.30pm on Saturday (August 7). Pic: Google

The force added that no-one has been arrested and the incident will not be referred to the IOPC (Independent Police Complaints Commission) for further investigation.

A police spokesman said: “We were called at around 7.35pm on Saturday (August 7) to a report of a collision in Blackpool.

“A police car and an Audi car had been involved in a collision close to the junction with Sherbourne Road and Claremont Road.

“The drivers of both vehicles suffered minor injuries.

“No arrests were made.”

Get your skates on in time for exciting Christmas celebrations in a Blackpool winter wonderland

Home | Blackpool Gazette

It might only be August, but Blackpool Council bosses already have some spectacular Christmas events planned to make up for the disappointment of last year’s lockdown.

 

Fancy taking your loved ones for a skate around an ice rink overlooking the beach as the snow falls?

How about resting your legs in a cosy cabin with a steaming mug of hot chocolate, or an adventure through a magical forest before visiting the Jolly Man in Red himself?

No need to worry if you’ve left the gift-buying until the last minute, either – you can have a leisurely wander around a Christmas market and pick up gifts from local traders.

A festive village will showcase simulated snowfalls, cosy log cabins, and a magical forest this year, with festive light projection shows and special Santa tram rides.A festive village will showcase simulated snowfalls, cosy log cabins, and a magical forest this year, with festive light projection shows and special Santa tram rides.

VisitBlackpool is working behind the scenes to curate a showstopping seasonal spectacle with all this and more, with a brand new programme as the longer nights draw in.

Coun Lynn Williams, leader of Blackpool Council, said: “We announced earlier this year that we would make a significant investment in marketing and events to kick-start our tourism economy and help our businesses to recover from the losses they have incurred over the past two years.

“By extending the Illuminations season to four months and complementing that with the strongest resort-wide Christmas offer we have had in years, we are confident that our businesses will enjoy a strong finish to 2021.

“It is encouraging that many of our tourism operators including attractions and accommodation have responded to this investment by remaining open to the end of the year and adding events of their own.
Work is going on behind the scenes to make sure Blackpool bounces back better than ever for the upcoming festive season, after a disappointing Christmas with lockdown restrictions in 2020.
Work is going on behind the scenes to make sure Blackpool bounces back better than ever for the upcoming festive season, after a disappointing Christmas with lockdown restrictions in 2020.

“Our ambition to become a year-round resort remains as strong as ever and the four-month Illumination season running through to Christmas and New Year presents a real opportunity to demonstrate that Blackpool has something to offer no matter when people choose to come.”

The Illuminations will light the way for longer this year, shining bright until January 3 after Strictly Come Dancing star Shirley Ballas pulls the switch on September 3 in the Tower Ballroom.

The Tower Festival Headland will be transformed into a “breathtaking festive village” from November 19 until January 3, VisitBlackpool said.

The festive village will showcase simulated snowfalls, cosy log cabins, and a magical forest, with festive light projection shows and special Santa tram rides.

A Bavarian-style Christmas market will be making its way to the Winter Gardens in 2021.A Bavarian-style Christmas market will be making its way to the Winter Gardens in 2021.

The Headland will also house an outdoor winter skating rink, which will be free to use for both residents and visitors.

You won’t need to travel to a city to experience a traditional Christmas market this year either, as the Winter Gardens is set to transform into its own wonderland.

From December 9 to January 3, the Winter Gardens will host a Bavarian-style Christmas market with a wide selection of themed stalls, fairground rides, live entertainment and Santa’s grotto.

In November, fans of cult sitcom Friends can also enjoy celebrating every seasonal moment from the TV show at the venue.

Between November 5 and November 19, FriendsFest will be coming to the Winter Gardens to give fans the chance to recreate the show’s titles in the snow with a digital snow globe photo op, and the visitors can check out Monica’s apartment and Central Perk in all their Christmas glory, and visit the Holiday Armadillo’s grotto. The New Year’s Rockin’ Eve disco, made famous by siblings Monica and Ross, will be recreated along with themed food stalls and cocktails.

The resort comes alive at Christmas with panto cries of “he’s behind you”, and this year fun-filled theatre shows will continue.

In 2020, organisers at The Grand Theatre were forced to pull the plug on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs after Government rulings meant it was “simply not viable to put on a full-scale show,” and they wanted audiences to be able to enjoy “the true beauty and tradition of pantomime.”

But Snow White will be back this year, showing between December 3 and January 2.

Aladdin and his genie is also set to grace the stage at Blackpool Pleasure Beach between November 25 and Christmas Eve.

In addition, the Pleasure Beach will host the glamorous Gatsby Christmas Dinner Show between December 3 and 19, and Santa will be in his grotto to welcome youngsters from November 20.

To top it all off, a Christmas Party Spectacular is planned at Viva between December 2 and Christmas Eve, and Hairspray the Musical will show at the Opera House between December 13 and January 2.

Stay Blackpool boss Claire Smith welcomed the planned events, and said it would provide a much-needed boost for businesses who lost out while Covid restrictions were in place.

She said: “I think everything planned so far sounds fabulous, and with events both indoors and outdoors if the weather is bad there will always be something to do.

“The council is really doing their best to help businesses, and we thank them for it.

“People are just so happy to be out and about after lockdown, and even in winter people will still have the appetite to come and support smaller businesses in Blackpool, especially while we aren’t going on foreign holidays.

“On a sunny winter’s day with an ice rink and lights outside, where else would you rather be than Blackpool?”

Last Christmas, the resort was much quieter as the lights went down during the Covid lockdown .

On November 5, the second national lockdown was imposed in England, putting a stopper in the works for thousands of events around the country.

Even before this, myriad events and shows in Blackpool were either cancelled or postponed, as Covid guidance prevented mass gatherings and social distancing would have been near impossible.

Blackpool’s autumn and winter programme became a coronavirus casualty, with events including the World Fireworks Championships postponed and the illuminations switch-on event reverting to a virtual audience.

But last week it was announced both events will return in the autumn, and the news of Blackpool’s winter spectacular will warm the cockles of many festive fans who missed out on last year.

It will also be another step in helping local businesses recover from the pandemic lockdown as the Illuminations are extended into the Christmas season, attracting more visitors.

 

Extra police patrols continue in Fleetwood following reports of ‘large groups of youths causing a nuisance until late at night’

Home | Blackpool Gazette

Extra police patrols will continue in Fleetwood this week after a spate of anti-social behaviour in the area, including reports of eggs being hurled at officers on horseback.

 

Mounted police in Fleetwood

Mounted police in Fleetwood

The mounted police were on patrol in the area following reports of anti-social behaviour there when the incident occured on Tuesday night.

On Thursday, a dispersal order was put in place between Grange Road, Princes Way and Chatsworth Avenue in response to increased anti-social behaviour and crime around the Chatsworth Estate.

Insp Martin Wyatt, of Fleetwood police, said: “We are aware there has been an incident involving youths throwing a bottle at one of our police horses.

“This follows other anti-social behaviour in the area with large groups of youths gathering and causing a nuisance until late at night.

“Extra patrols have been working in the area and will continue to do so over the weekend and into next week. We will not tolerate this type of behaviour and those responsible will be dealt with accordingly.

“It is important to stress that this behaviour is only from the minority of the community. Over the last few nights our police horses and other officers have been welcomed by the wider community and it is clear from social media and our interactions that the majority of residents appreciate our presence and do not want to be subjected to anti-social behaviour.

“We will continue to work alongside our partners in tackling ASB and use powers available to us to prevent incidents happening in the future.

“In Lancashire we have strong professional partnerships with other agencies and I can assure the local community that we are working to achieve long term solutions as well as taking positive action where necessary. I urge the community to report incidents of ASB or criminality to us either online or anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

“There is a tendency to post on social media rather than report to the relevant authorities so it would be really helpful if people could report incidents so we can record it and take action.”

Anyone who witnesses anti-social behaviour should contact police on 101, or Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111

 

Death of Blackpool woman Mandy Love no longer a suspected murder

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A woman whose sudden death sparked an intense police investigation is no longer thought to have been murdered.

 

Police at Clayton Crescent following the death of Mandy Love

Police at Clayton Crescent following the death of Mandy Love

Mandy Love, aged in her 50s, was found dead in the doorway of her Clayton Crescent home in South Shore at 10.16pm on May 5. Police had attended in response to a concern for safety call.

A 61-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of murder and was released pending further enquiries.

A post-mortem examination carried out a few days later found the cause of Miss Love’s death was ‘unascertained’.

Today, a spokesman for Lancashire police said: “The death is no longer being treated as suspicious and a file has been passed to the coroner.

“The woman initially arrested has been released no further action.”

 

Pair on CCTV wanted by Blackpool detectives investigating Queen Street car ramming attack

Home | Blackpool Gazette

Blackpool detectives want to speak to a pair of men in connection with a car ramming attack which crushed a man’s leg.

 

Lancashire Police are appealing to the public to help identify two men as part of its investigation into an incident in Queen Street on July 27, which saw a 24-year-old man struck by a car.

Levi Young, 27, of Fordway Avenue, Blackpool, was charged with Section 18 GBH, whilst the 24-year-old victim was rushed to hospital with a serious leg injury.

After examining CCTV footage from the area, detectives believe a passenger from the car was involved in a fight with another man in Queen Street after the crash.

Police are keen to speak to these two men as part of an investigation into an incident in Queen Street at 1.30am on Tuesday, July 27 which saw a man struck by a car. Pic: Lancashire PolicePolice are keen to speak to these two men as part of an investigation into an incident in Queen Street at 1.30am on Tuesday, July 27 which saw a man struck by a car. Pic: Lancashire Police

The detectives want to speak to the two men pictured and are asking anyone who recognises them to come forward with information.

A police spokesman said: “We are appealing for information to identify these two men as part of our enquiries after a collision where a man was seriously injured in Blackpool.

“Police were called around 1.30am on Tuesday, July 27 to reports of a car being driven at another man in Queen Street.

“A 24-year-old man from Blackpool was injured during the incident and taken to hospital with a serious leg injury.

“A man was later arrested and charged by police in connection with the investigation.

“Following CCTV enquiries we believe there was a fight involving a passenger in the car and another man in the Queen Street area after the collision.

“We are keen to speak to these two men, pictured, as part of our enquiries.”

Blackpool man charged after car driven at pedestrian in Queen Street

Det Con Paul Edmondson, of Blackpool CID, added: “We want to speak to these individuals and I believe someone knows who they are.

“If you can help our investigation please come forward with information.”

Anyone with information can contact police on 101 or email 3291@lancashire.police.uk quoting log 0132 of July 27.

 

Blackpool’s seafront Terrace Bar saved from closure – for now at least

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A busy seafront bar in Blackpool has won a reprieve for the timebeing after councillors held off from taking action to close it down.

 

The Terrace Bar

The Terrace Bar

The council’s planning committee had been recommended to refuse permission for the Terrace Bar, alongside Central Pier, which has been trading for four years.

A meeting of the committee was warned all three of Blackpool’s piers would suffer if the bar was forced to shut because it generated vital revenue for repairs.

Planning permission had been sought retrospectively after it emerged in May this year the Terrace Bar was operating without approval.

Members voted to defer the application which is now set to come back before councillors in October by the earliest.

Agent Chris Weetman, representing the piers which are owned by the Sedgwick family, challenged claims the bar contravened policy because it was not a tourist attraction.

He added it created important revenue which had helped the recovery of Central Pier following a fire in July 2020 which ripped through a workshop and the waltzers ride.

Mr Weetman said: “This isn’t a town centre use, but a very specific type of bar. It is an open air, seafront bar designed to capture the outdoor seafront experience.

“It is there to serve the piers – it is there to bring finance back to the piers.

“The fire, Covid, the closure of the piers has seriously damaged the finances of the company.

“This bar alone provides 47 per cent of all the bar income from all three piers.

“Without it there would be job losses, without it the company could not generate enough income to carry out repairs on all three piers including the more important listed North Pier.”

A report to the committee had said the bar’s location contravenes council policy because the area west of the tram tracks is reserved for “public realm improvements such as sea defences, transport improvements, landscaping, public amenities and ancillary small-scale retail outlets.”

The council’s heritage officer had also objected saying the bar “undermines the setting of the pier by obscuring the view of the historic substructure and the sea.”