Convoy in Blackpool for 9-year-old Jordan Banks to take place on Sunday

LancsLive - Latest news, sport, business and more from Lancashire

“I don’t think Blackpool is going to know what it’s hit when we all come out to pay tribute to this amazing boy.”


Jordan Banks was tragically killed after being struck by lightning

Organisers are in the process of arranging a convoy of cars to pay tribute to nine-year-old Jordan Banks who was tragically killed on Tuesday (May 11) when he was struck by lightning on a football field while training in Blackpool.

Jordan was an avid Liverpool supporter and played as an under-nine for Clifton Rangers Junior Football Club.

He was praised by his hero, Liverpool-vice captain James Milner, earlier this year for his relentless efforts to raise money for Blackpool-based charity Counselling in the Community on behalf of his uncle.

Since he was named on Wednesday May 12 tributes have come pouring in from all over the country.

In his home town a vehicle convoy is being arranged by Preston-based company Vehicle Custom Light Bars to go ahead on Sunday May 16 at 2pm.

The company has arranged many convoys to help charities, raise awareness and pay tribute all over the country.

Director Dave Haul said: “When I heard the news I was absolutely devastated. My seven-year-old boy was playing football on the same day and I just felt so helpless for the family.

“I knew I had to try and so something and this is what we do in our line of work so we got organising. So far over 100 people have said they’ll join which is fantastic.”

The convoy will meet at Queen’s Promenade outside Norbreck Castle and vehicles are asked to line up on the main road facing south so they are ready to leave.

A full statement about the convoy and its route will be released later on today on the Jordan Banks Memorial Vehicle Convoy Facebook page here.

Organisers have asked people not to park on the opposite side of the road to keep traffic moving on the promenade and not to park in the Norbreck Castle Hotel car park as you may be issued with a fine.


Norbreck Castle Hotel in Blackpool (Image: Google)

Dave added: “I have a friend Shaun who works for Road Safety Support (RSS) and he’s he helped massively with traffic issues so I’d like to thank him for that.

“We’ve also spoken to Blackpool Council and the police about possibly getting assistance or the roads closed off however they haven’t said yes or no yet and it might not be possible for them to arrange in time.

“The convoy can still go ahead however it just might be that the vehicles are a little more stretched out in places.

“We have special vehicles such as a mini wagon built for charity called Henry and there’s going to be air horns and salutes.

“There will be two vans that initially lead the convoy and then we will go past the playing fields where Jordan was and pay tribute.”

“It’s had a massive amount of support so far and I don’t think Blackpool is going to know what it’s hit when we all come out to pay tribute to this amazing boy.”

Organisers are trying to get hold of as much red ribbon as they can for the tribute. If you are able to help please message the Facebook page.