Blackpool’s new JD Gym with ‘very best’ equipment, studios and sauna

LancsLive - Latest news, sport, business and more from Lancashire

The Covid-secure building has 250+ machines for gym lovers and will be offering over 300 classes along with personal trainers, bootcamps and JD burn and boxing

StairMasters are available at JD Gyms - Blackpool
StairMasters are available at JD Gyms – Blackpool (Image: JD Gyms)

Blackpool’s new state-of-the art gym is set to open tomorrow promising the very best fitness equipment, studios and saunas in luxury changing rooms.

The town’s new JD Gym has a dedicated JD burn area and sprint and trowler track plus vast free weights and functional areas.

Exercise bike facilities at JD Gyms - Blackpool
Exercise bike facilities at JD Gyms – Blackpool (Image: JD Gyms – Blackpool)

One man who visited on Monday said: “I popped down this morning! Great gym here. It’s huge! Very open plan which is good too, liking the Covid safe measures of screens next to cardio kit.

“JD burn area looks awesome too! Very spacious changing facilities too. Great effort here guys.”

One woman who popped in on the same day added: “I popped in for my preview. So different from how it used to be as DW. Great to speak with Emily & Ryan. Fantastic equipment. Great spin studio. Can’t wait to get in and back training in weight again.”

Another said: “It’s amazing, just been in. Can’t wait when classes restart.”

One of the vast free weights areas in JD Gyms - Blackpool
One of the vast free weights areas in JD Gyms – Blackpool (Image: JD Gyms – Blackpool)

Today is the last day to take advantage of a discount membership, of which there were 200 available, with the first month £5 which then goes to £19.99 a month.

The offer ends at midnight with no contracts and no joining fee.

The gym offers visitors free parking. A video walkthrough tour video has been posted on the JD Gyms Facebook page here.

To find out opening times and more information, please visit the JD Gyms website here.

 

Blackpool Illuminations open air switch-on event moved online for second year running

LancsLive - Latest news, sport, business and more from Lancashire

The event which usually takes place at the Tower Festival Headland Arena, will be held in the Blackpool Tower Ballroom

The switch-on concert will be live streamed this year
The switch-on concert will be live streamed this year (Image: Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Blackpool Illuminations switch-on event will take place indoors for the second year running with the in-person open air event cancelled due to Covid fears.

Plans for the 2021 event have been unveiled with the return of a live concert in association with MTV.

With continuing uncertainty over restrictions on large-scale events this summer, VisitBlackpool has announced that its traditional Switch-On celebration on the night of September 3 will temporarily move into the Blackpool Tower Ballroom from its usual home on the outdoor Tower Festival Headland Arena.

The new event, which marks the start of four months of illuminations, will feature live music performances in ballroom with an audience made up of winners of a free-to-enter ballot.

The concert and Switch-On moment will also be live streamed across MTV and VisitBlackpool channels.

Last year, 225,000 households tuned in to watch the lights switch on in the free online event.

Cllr Gillian Campbell, Cabinet Member for Tourism & Culture for Blackpool Council, said: “We are thrilled to be able to announce the return of a live concert as a curtain-raiser for our extended Blackpool Illuminations season.

“While we would love to be able to bring back a full-scale concert with thousands of people partying on the headland, there are still too many uncertainties over the logistics of being able to do that in a safe and controlled way.

“We are fortunate that we have a world-class ballroom which is currently undergoing a £1m renovation and which will provide a truly fitting stage for the 2021 Switch-On concert.

“The live stream in 2020 proved hugely successful and we are delighted that people will be able to enjoy the celebration no matter where they are.”

Virginia Monaghan, Vice-President Events & Experiences, for ViacomCBS, added: “We are excited to be once again partnering with VisitBlackpool to deliver the annual Illuminations Switch-On event.

“We are looking forward to staging a very special celebration in one of the most iconic venues in the UK – and equally looking forward to bringing back a traditional Switch-On arena concert in 2022.”

Kate Shane, Head of the Blackpool Cluster for the Merlin Entertainments Group, said: “We are delighted to be hosting the annual Switch-On event in The Blackpool Tower Ballroom for the first time in our history.

“The ballroom is currently undergoing a huge renovation programme that will bring the magnificent ceiling back to its former glory. We look forward to being able to unveil this to a live Switch-On audience as well as a global live stream audience.”

Full details of the acts that will perform at the event will be revealed over the coming months along with the identity of the Switch-On star. At least 1,000 tickets will initially be available to join the live audience. Further tickets could be made available if future guidance allows. Any ticket allocation will be split equally between local residents and visitors.

In the meantime, you can register to enter the ballot for free tickets (maximum of four per person) at this link. Applications will close on Friday 30 July.

Blackpool takeaway refused over fears of too much fast food and overweight children

LancsLive - Latest news, sport, business and more from Lancashire

The Bloomfield ward has seven times the national average number of takeaways and there are concerns over childhood obesity

The site on Lytham Road in the Bloomfield ward
The site on Lytham Road in the Bloomfield ward

Plans to open a takeaway in Blackpool have been refused over fears of too much fast food in the resort.

Proposals to open a ‘hot food’ takeaway on Lytham Road, have been deemed inappropriate by Blackpool Council, who are concerned over rising obesity rates in the town’s children – particularly in this area.

In its determination, the council stated that there are more than seven times the national average of takeaways within the Bloomfield ward and a high percentage of obese children.

Officer notes supporting the decision state: “The research shows that in Blackpool, the average number of hot food takeaways per 100,000head of population is 217 (196.5 when excluding units on the Promenade) compared to 96.5 nationally.

“The application falls within Bloomfield ward, where there are 715.14 hot food takeaways per 100,000 population (excluding the promenade) and is among the most deprived areas in the country and Blackpool borough with a high percentage of obese year 6 and reception pupils, at 24.8% and 11% respectively.

“With this in mind, it would not be sustainable to allow the development of a new takeaway in this area and the proposed scheme would be in direct contrast with the Council’s regeneration objectives for the town and its community.”

The property, which was being used as a cafe previously, now lies vacant and despite the benefit of bringing a disused building back to life – council planning officers believe there are other uses such as ‘residential’ uses which would better suit the building.

The report adds: “It is understood that the unit has been vacant since May 2020. Ordinarily some weight would be attached to a scheme seeking to bring a vacant property back into active use, but this vacancy has occurred during unprecedented times of national lockdown where movement in thisc ommercial sector has been substantially reduced.

“There is no reason to suppose that this unit could not be let or sold for an appropriate land use, including residential use.”

Overall, officers felt that the plans would be too detrimental to the council’s overall scheme to tackle childhood obesity in the town, stating that the ‘potential harm’ of the takeaway outweighed any benefits.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach eyes doomed hotel site for new long-stay car park

LancsLive - Latest news, sport, business and more from Lancashire

The Argosy Hotel on Balmoral Road, near the theme park, has been earmarked for demolition

Blackpool Pleasure Beach is applying for permission to build a new car park on the site of a former hotel.

The popular theme park is looking to build a 32-space long stay car park on land at 30 Balmoral Road and 31-33 Osborne Road.

According to planning documents, the car park would be created following the demolition of the existing buildings at the site, which include the Argosy Hotel – which is currently lying empty.

The hotel, along with two residential dwellinga on Osborne Road, have already been earmarked for demolition – but this has not started yet.

A planning application has been submitted to Blackpool Council, showing the company’s intention to use the new car park for staff purposes if it is approved.

Access to the site would be gained from Osborne Road.

Comments can be submitted in favour of, or against the development until later this month. A decision is expected at the end of next month.

To view the application visit Blackpool Council’s planning applications page.

Blackpool bakery fire sparks emergency response and investigation

LancsLive - Latest news, sport, business and more from Lancashire

A fire broke out on Church Street over the weekend as fire crews rushed to the scene

BPL Bible / LancsLiveFire crews blocked the road

A bakery which set alight in Blackpool over the weekend triggered an emergency response and investigation.

Four fire engines rushed to the scene of Laine’s Bakery on Church Street last night (May 3) at around 7.50pm after the fire broke out.

Firefighters used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel to extinguish the fire which involved a commercial oven at the site.

Fire engines from Blackpool, South Shore and Bispham could be seen blocking to road as crews rushed to control the blaze, with pictures showing fire crews surrounding the property as firefighting took place.

No injuries were reported during the incident, confirms Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service.

The cause of the fire has not yet been established and an investigation is now underway.

BPL Bible / LancsLive

BPL Bible / LancsLive

BPL Bible / LancsLive

BPL Bible / LancsLive

BPL Bible / LancsLive

BPL Bible / LancsLive

BPL Bible / LancsLive

BPL Bible / LancsLive