A Lancashire care home which was placed in special measures last year has had its registration stripped by the health and social care watchdog.
Care Quality Commission (CQC) officials rated Morvern Care Centre in Thornton-Cleveleys Inadequate and put it in special measures late in 2020 following a full inspection.
The CQC then temporarily suspended Morvern’s registration in December amid safety fears for the residents after a visit from the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, who deemed the Promenade building unsafe.
Residents were moved to a temporary facility with a view to the centre opening again in the future.
That was until May 27 when new documents from the independent body were published, stating that the registration had been cancelled.
The new document reads: “CQC have issued a notice of decision and cancelled the registered providers registration.”
The watchdog inspectors descended upon the care home over three days in September after receiving concerns over risk management, resident safeguarding and living conditions in the care home.
Upon arrival, they found the South Promenade home’s 48 residents were ‘sometimes exposed to risk of harm’, with the call bell system not fully working and risks to stop residents from falling not consistently addressed and managed.
“People are safe,” one staff member said, “apart from when the buzzers aren’t working.”
They found residents sometimes didn’t receive their prescribed medicine due to a lack of ‘robust’ re-ordering of drugs, with medicines, creams, and ointments also seen left in residents rooms unsupervised.
One staff member told inspectors they had not received any training around working safely in a Covid-19 pandemic, while another said they had a significant medical condition that had not been risk assessed.
Inspectors also came across very unpleasant odours’throughout’ the care home.
In their inspection report, published in November, 2020, they said one section of flooring was water damaged, meaning it could not be properly cleaned.
A total of nine mattresses were found to have stains, with one also being ripped.
Patches of damp were highlighted, as well as wallpaper peeling off walls, water leaks, a fault window and two out of use bathrooms.
In total, 14 bedrooms were exposed to damp with 20 bedrooms in need of decorating. A total of 24 rooms needed new carpet and fresh flooring was needed in communal areas.
One resident’s records also indicated they had not been given a bath in 62 days, with another resident’s not recording one for 22 days.
Care home bosses were adamant this was a ‘documenting error’ but this was contradicted by team meeting minutes which highlighted the fact that residents were not getting baths.
The conditions “compromised people’s human rights”, inspectors said, who were told by one person that “the building is falling to bits”.
Morale was “low”, according to one staff member, with one resident telling inspectors: “It’s quite stressful for the staff, we could do with a few more.”
“We are short staffed,” the staff member added. “I have been doing five, 12-hour days for plenty of weeks, covering for sick.”
Another report, published today (June 4) expanded further on the fire safety concerns.
At the time, fire authorities served and enforcement notice and provided a three-month time frame to make the building fire safety compliant.
Inspectors found that 18 people whose bedrooms were on the upper floors were dependent on the use of a wheelchair but there was no evacuation equipment, such as evacuation chairs or sledges to ‘safely evacuate people who could not independently mobilise on the stairs’.
The most recent report adds: “The identified evacuation route for one person on the lower floors had not been considered andprotected. This was because the egress was not adapted for wheelchair use and was blocked from theoutside by patio furniture making it unusable in the event of a fire.
“A visual inspection of the building noted a significant number of the fire doors were ill-fitting or unable toclose automatically and not suitably maintained. This would allow the rapid spread of smoke and fire. Thishad not been identified and addressed by the provider’s safety checks.”
A spokesperson for Movern Care Centre confirmed that the home would not be reopening, saying: “We have agreed with CQC to proceed on cancellation of our registration as this building is very old and it is not viable to change this in to modern care home therefore we did withdraw our tribunal appeal against CQC for cancellation.”