Child ‘hit by tram’ in Fleetwood

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A child has suffered “head injuries” after being struck by a tram in Fleetwood.

 

The collision occurred near the Heathfield Road tram stop shortly before 3.10pm today (June 18).

The child, a 12-year-old boy, suffered “head injuries” but police said they are not believed to be life-threatening.

Eyewitness said an ambulance attended the scene and tram services were temporarily suspended.

A spokesman for Blackpool Transport said: “Due to an incident on our tramway, our trams have been delayed.

“Trams are returning to their normal service and will take to catch up to their normal timetable.

“Apologies for any inconvenience.”

A child was hit by a tram near the Heathfield Road tram stop. (Credit: Google)
A child was hit by a tram near the Heathfield Road tram stop. (Credit: Google)

Anyone with information can contact police on 101, quoting log number 0870 of June 18, 2021.

Scots urged to avoid Blackpool and other areas of Lancashire

LancsLive - Latest news, sport, business and more from Lancashire

Non essential travel to Blackburn and Darwen is already prohibited with Manchester or Salford being added from Monday

 

Nicola Sturgeon has banned non-essential travel to more areas of the North West and issued new travel guidance for people visiting Blackpool and other areas of Lancashire.

Scotland’s First Minister announced new measures today (June 18) due to the increasing coronavirus case numbers in the region and the spread of the Delta variant.

Last month the Scottish government banned all Blackburn with Darwen residents from visiting the country and for Scottish residents to visit the East Lancashire borough.

Non-essential travel from Scotland to Manchester and Salford will be banned from Monday (June 21) due to “high levels of Covid”.

The First Minister has also issued new guidance for Scots looking to visit Blackpool and other parts of Lancashire over the coming weeks.

Blackpool is a popular place for Scottish tourists to visit in the summer and especially to watch football matches.

The announcement came just a few hours ahead of the match between England and Scotland at Wembley tonight.

Speaking at a coronavirus briefing this afternoon, she said: “I regret however that we are also introducing restrictions on travel between Scotland and two English cities.

“Manchester and Salford currently have very high levels of Covid, and so from Monday onwards, non-essential travel is between Scotland and those cities is not permitted.

“Non-essential travel is already prohibited between Scotland and Bolton, and Blackburn with Darwen.

“Anyone travelling elsewhere in the Greater Manchester or Lancashire area should think carefully about whether your journey is really necessary, since cases are rising across the region.”

“I realise that for those with family or friends in Manchester or Salford – or for anyone who was simply planning a visit – these new measures will be disappointing.”

LancsLive reported in October 2020 how the First Minister warned Scots to stay aware from Blackpool after an outbreak of Covid cases in the country were linked back to the seaside resort.

As of this morning a total of 75,953 confirmed and probable cases of the Covid-19 Delta variant have now been identified in the UK, Public Health England said – up by 33,630, or 79%, on the previous week.

Of the 75,953, 70,856 have been in England, 4,659 in Scotland, 254 in Northern Ireland and 184 in Wales.

The most recent data shows 99% of confirmed and probable cases of coronavirus across the country are the Delta variant.

 

Green charges could ‘put tourists off’ visiting Blackpool

Home | Blackpool Gazette

Creating an ultra-low emissions zone in Blackpool town center could put tourists off  visiting the resort, a councilor has warned.

 

Coun Gary Coleman said it was “a very difficult balancing act” to adopt measures aimed at tackling climate change while competing with other holiday destinations.

Climate assembly calls for emissions charge in Blackpool town centre

He was responding to suggestions made by the Blackpool Climate Assembly that drivers of non-electric cars could be charged for visiting parts of the town centre in future.

Use of electric vehicles should be encouraged, says Climate Assembly

Use of electric vehicles should be encouraged, says Climate Assembly

Among recommendations made by the assembly, which was held earlier this year, is the council should “implement an ultra-low emissions zone in the town centre by 2027, charging vehicles that are not electric for access.”

Coun Coleman told a meeting of the tourism, economy and communities scrutiny committee: “It’s a very difficult balancing act that we need.

“We don’t want to put people off by them thinking Blackpool’s got this charge now so I’m not going to go to Blackpool, I’m going to go to Morecambe or Skegness or wherever it might be.

“On the whole this is an excellent report, it’s just this side of things that concerns me a little.”

Scott Butterfield, strategy policy and research manager at the council, said assembly members had been asked to make recommendations which were challenging, but some ideas needed ‘a lot of consideration’.

He said while an ultra-low emissions zone would work in some places, in Blackpool the knock-on effects needed to be investigated.

He added: “As we’re at the start of the process we’re starting to unpick the box and come to a reasonable view.

“Is that the right thing to do with the resources we’ve got, given the impact and the knock-on effect it will have?

“Or is there a different way we can make a big statement about this issue without necessarily going down that particular route.

“It will be thought about very carefully and that’s where we need to look at the implications.”

The committee agreed to note the recommendations of the assembly which saw around 40 residents taking part in a series of discussions during January and February.

The council declared a Climate Emergency in July 2019, committing it to work towards carbon neutrality across its services and companies by 2030, and across the town in a similar timescale.

 

Blackpool outline their pre-season schedule

Home | Blackpool Gazette

Blackpool have announced details of four senior pre-season friendlies as the club gears up for their return to the Championship.

 

The Seasiders will make their return almost seven weeks after winning promotion against Lincoln City in the play-off final at Wembley.

Neil Critchley’s players will be back in action at National League North club Southport on Saturday, July 10 (3pm).

They will then depart for a pre-season training camp, which culminates in a match behind closed doors against Newport County AFC on Saturday, July 17 (12.30pm).

Blackpool's last game was the play-off final win at Wembley

Blackpool’s last game was the play-off final win at Wembley

Blackpool assistant boss Colin Calderwood to leave for Northampton Town

Further League Two opposition arrives a week later with a trip to Carlisle United on Saturday, July 24 (3pm).

The final game of the month comes seven days later when they travel to the Mazuma Stadium to face League One newcomers Morecambe on Saturday, July 31 (3pm).

Two other friendlies have also been lined up for a Blackpool XI outfit.

The first comes at Squires Gate on Friday, July 9 (7.30pm) with the second being a match at Bamber Bridge on Friday, July 30 (7.30pm).

Announcements on any further fixtures arranged will follow.

Ticket details for all of the friendlies – where appropriate – will be published in due course.

However, supporters are to be advised that all fixtures will be subject to change.

Council spent £4m last year on experts

Home | Blackpool Gazette

Blackpool Council spent nearly £4m last year on paying external consultants to carry out specialist work.

 

But councillors were told the expert advice was vital to the success of the resort’s £50m capital programme including major projects such as the tramway extension and new conference centre.

The figure for 2020/21 of £3.9m was an increase from £3.5m the previous year, but as a percentage of capital spend remained around the same at 7.9 per cent.

Steve Thompson director of resources at the council, told a meeting of the tourism, economy and communities scrutiny committee this was “not an unreasonable proportion” in relation to the £50m of capital investment the resort had seen in 2020/21.

Town hall bosses paid out £4m to consultants in 2020/21Town hall bosses paid out £4m to consultants in 2020/21

The biggest outlays on consultants were £1.2m for the tramway extension and nearly £1m for the Blackpool Airport Enterprise Zone.

Around £407,000 was spent on consultants for the Winter Gardens conference centre and £175,000 on the Blackpool Museum project.

Other commissions of more than £25,000 added up to £672,000, while commissions below £25,000 totalled £439,000.

Mr Thompson said it was “extremely unlikely’ the roles taken by consultants could be carried out by council staff.

A council report said: “For some projects, the use of consultants is critical, taking the museum and the tramway extension as examples.

“In both cases, the funding we have received from external agencies requires us to appoint certain experts to ensure the security of the funding.

“These may be specialists that are recommended by the funders as having specific skills such as a heritage architect or a tramway engineer.

“Because these services are project specific, demand is not constant; employing these experts on a full-time basis would not be cost effective.”

Coun Gerard Walsh questioned why £6,000 had had to be spent on consultants in order to redesign the entrance to the Blackpool Museum.

The meeting was told this was due to the owner of the Sands Hotel on Central Promenade, where the museum will be located, changing the design of his building.

As result the council had been forced to make changes to its plans for a giant video wall earmarked for the museum entrance.