Former Fleetwood Sea Cadets leader to finally receive his British Citizen Award

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A former Sea Cadets leader from Fleetwood who was awarded the British Citizen Award medal is set to finally receive it after a four month delay.

 

Lt Cdr Derek Scrivener is to finally receive his British Citizen Award

Lt Cdr Derek Scrivener is to finally receive his British Citizen Award

Lt Cdr Derek Scrivener, 93, of Beach Road, was commanding officer of Fleetwood Sea Cadets for 28 years until 1986, during which time the unit excelled on several fronts.

In July last year was told he had been awarded the BCA and he was set to be presented with it in March this year, but Covid restrictions meant the ceremony had to be postponed.

However, he is now due to receive the medal from the High Sheriff of Lancashire, Edwin Booth, at a special award event at Fleetwood’s North Euston Hotel on Friday July 30.

Derek was selected from thousands of nominations and his was one of only 25 such awards bi-annually.

Paul Reynolds, a former member of Fleetwood Sea Cadet himself, was among a group in the town who nominated Derek for the award.

He said: “As many people in Fleetwood will be aware, Cdr Scrivener was the driving force behind Fleetwood Sea Cadets for along time.

“The unit achieved many awards and the band were the very best in the country.

“Derek dedicated his life to serving Queen and country in the Royal Navy, then the Sea Cadet Corps, Rossall School Cadet Force, The Fleetwood Civic Society and the Royal Naval Association amongst others.

“It is indeed time that his dedication was rewarded. Congratulations Sir and very well deserved!”

When Derek first heard he was receive the BCA, he modestly said: “I didn’t know such a thing as the British Citizen Award existed.

“I think it’s an excellent award but it was a big surprise that I’d been given it and I didn’t think I should get it.

“Without the lads of Fleetwood – and later the girls too – it wouldn’t have happened.”

The ceremony will be restricted to invited guests and will not be a public event.

 

Resort coroner to write to Government about lightning risks after Jordan Banks death

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A request to the Government to remind the public about the risks of lightning will be put forward by Blackpool’s coroner following the tragic death of Jordan Banks.

 

The inquest for Jordan Banks, nine, was held at Blackpool Town Hall yesterday (Wednesday July 21).

Coroner Alan Wilson recorded a narrative conclusion, and said Jordan had died as a result of cardiac arrest following one lightning strike.

Jordan, of Newhouse Road, was a Stanley Primary School pupil, avid Liverpool FC fan and player for Clifton Rangers JFC.

Blackpool's coroner is writing to the Government about lightning risks after Jordan Banks (pictured) died when he was struck by lightning while at a football coaching session.

Blackpool’s coroner is writing to the Government about lightning risks after Jordan Banks (pictured) died when he was struck by lightning while at a football coaching session.

He died on May 11 just minutes before the end of a one-to-one football coaching session when he was struck by lightning.

Mr Wilson told the court he was planning to write to the Government’s department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport in a bid to encourage the circulation of lightning risk reminders, which he hoped would prevent the tragedy from happening again.

He said: “I will be writing to the Minister for sport within the Culture department to bring this matter to his attention.

“If a reminder can avoid this happening again, then that would be a positive and avoid another family having to go through this again.”

Mr Wilson told the court yesterday there appeared to be “no obvious reason” why Jordan was hit by lightning, and that it was an “extremely rare occurrence.”

His family did not attend the hearing but his step-dad Daniel Begg, who was waiting in his car with his two-year-son for Jordan to finish, said in a written statement he saw the youngster collapse.

A report from the national forecaster, the Met Office, was read in court and suggested that, although thunder and lightning was reported between 3-6pm on the day of Jordan’s death, the conditions were not thought to be bad enough to warrant a severe weather warning.

Det Insp Abi Finch-Hall from Lancashire Police and who led the investigation into Jordan’s death said that, while there were no obvious signs of a lightning strike, it was “clear from the outset” what had happened.

 

Jordan Banks was tragically ‘coming to the end of his training session’ when lightning struck

Home | Blackpool Gazette

Tragic Jordan Banks was just seconds away from finishing his training session – and the safety of his step-dad’s car – when lightning struck, it emerged today.

 

The nine-year-old died after being hit by a bolt that caused his heart to stop – with the storm suddenly rolling in – his inquest was told.

Coroner Alan Wilson said the Liverpool fan’s injuries were unsurvivable and recorded a narrative conclusion.

Describing the sudden storm as a “very rare occurence”, he told those gathered at the town hall: “Jordan had injuries consistent with being struck by lightning and no outstanding medical conditions.

The death of Jordan Banks, nine, from Blackpool, stunned the global football community and left those in the resort - even those who didn't know the youngster - grief-stricken (Picture: The Gazette)

The death of Jordan Banks, nine, from Blackpool, stunned the global football community and left those in the resort – even those who didn’t know the youngster – grief-stricken (Picture: The Gazette)

“He died when he suffered a cardiac arrest due to one lightning strike.

“I would like to offer my condolences to the family and also thank them for donating Jordan’s organs at what must have been a very difficult time.”

Jordan, of Newhouse Road, Marton, who went to Stanley Primary School and played for grassroots club Clifton Rangers, was coming to the end of his one-to-one session on the Common Edge Road playing fields at around 5pm on Tuesday, May 11, the inquest was told.

Witness Emma Gleeson, whose son was due to train after Jordan and was waiting nearby, described the weather as “fine” at 4.50pm.

Mr Wilson said: “The forecasts were not suggestive of extreme weather.”

But minutes later, at 4.59pm, Jordan was hit.

His family did not attend the hearing but his step-dad Daniel Begg, who was waiting in his car with his two-year-son for Jordan to finish, said in a written statement he saw the youngster collapse.

Football coach Daniel Stenton said all of he sudden he felt “something [he] couldn’t begin to explain” and made him “automatically throw [his] hands over his head”.

He turned to see Jordan lying lifeless on the ground.

Mr Begg ran over and began CPR as 999 was called.

Paramedics took over the life-saving efforts at 5.01pm.

Jordan was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital by ambulance but medics were unable to revive him and his death was declared at 5.55pm.

A report from the national forecaster, the Met Office, was read in court and suggested that, although thunder and lightning was reported between 3-6pm on the day of Jordan’s death, the conditions were not thought to be bad enough to warrant a severe weather warning.

Det Insp Abi Finch-Hall from Lancashire Police and who led the investigation into Jordan’s death said that, while there were no obvious signs of a lightning strike, it was “clear from the outset” what had happened.

Cameron Doherty, a friend of Mr Stenton who heard the strike, said: “I was sitting in the front passenger seat of my car, facing away from the field, when I heard a loud bang.

“I turned around and saw Jordan lying on his back.

“Dan was shouting for us to call an ambulance.

“When they came they picked Jordan up straight away and put him in an ambulance.

“I didn’t think [training] would be dangerous in any way.”

Ms Gleeson said she saw Jordan fall to the floor and Mr Begg run to him.

She said: “Daniel (Begg) clearly was thinking the same thing I was thinking and was saying: ‘He’s gone, he’s gone’.”

The inquest also heard a statement from paramedic Sharon Riley-Clarke, who said she and her colleague were called to the scene shortly after they witnessed a “loud and violent” sudden lightning strike nearby.

She said when they arrived at 5.01pm she saw Mr Begg crouched over Jordan in the field and he shouted to them: “He’s not breathing.”

She added: “He picked him up in his arms and was running to us.”

Jordan’s death left Blackpool heartbroken and shocked the global football community.

Tributes flooded in from around the world, with celebrities amongst those expressing their shock and sending message of condolences to the youngster’s loved ones.

A charity fundraiser, the schoolboy was also nominated for a posthumous Pride of Britain Award.

Scores of tributes were left at the playing fields and at Stanley Primary School, where teachers spoke of their grief.

Blackpool FC await court ruling on appeal over abuse damages

Home | Blackpool Gazette

Blackpool Football Club bosses are waiting for a ruling on an appeal after being ordered to pay £19,000 in damages to a man abused by a former “scout” as a youth footballer.

 

The man, now in his 40s, was abused when he was 13 by paedophile Frank Roper during a youth football tour to New Zealand in the summer of 1987, judges have heard.

He sued Blackpool and argued that the club was “vicariously liable”.

Mr Justice Griffiths ruled in his favour and ordered Blackpool to pay more than £19,000 after a High Court hearing in March 2020.Blackpool FC is arguing Frank Roper was the equivalent to a "contractor".Blackpool FC is arguing Frank Roper was the equivalent to a “contractor”.

Lawyers representing Blackpool asked three appeal judges to overturn the ruling, arguing Roper was not a “quasi employee”.

Lady Justice Macur, Lord Justice Stuart-Smith and Sir Stephen Richards finished considering arguments at a Court of Appeal hearing in London on Thursday (July 22).

They said they would deliver a ruling on a date to be fixed.

Judges have ruled that the man cannot be identified in media reports of the case.

Fighting for justice for Blackpool residents denied access to the law

Roper, a former businessman who died in 2005, had convictions for indecent assaults on boys dating back to the 1960s, judges heard.

He had been a Blackpool fan, ran a youth team in Stockport, Great Manchester, and owned a sports shop in Blackpool.

Mr Justice Griffiths concluded that Roper had been a “Blackpool scout” and decided that his Nova Juniors side was a “Blackpool feeder team”.

He concluded that the relationship between Roper and Blackpool was one “capable of giving rise to vicarious liability”.

The man had told Mr Justice Griffiths how he had met Mr Roper when 11.

He said Roper had been a well-known local football scout who had scouted him to play for the Blackpool school of excellence.

Mr Justice Griffiths said he accepted the man’s account of the abuse he had suffered on the New Zealand trip.

Michael Kent QC, who is leading Blackpool’s legal team, argued that the club had not controlled Roper.

He told appeal judges that Roper had been a “completely free agent” and the equivalent of an “independent contractor”.

Judges heard that Roper had brought Paul Stewart and David Bardsley, who both played for England, to Blackpool when they were schoolboys.

Ex-footballer admits drink-drive shame after being arrested in Blackpool

Home | Blackpool Gazette

An ex-professional footballer has admitted his fourth drink-drive offence.

 

David Martindale, 57, was pulled over by police when he went through a red light at Peel Hill on the A583, Blackpool Magistrates’ Court was told.

The former player, of Lordens Road, Liverpool, who played for Tranmere Rovers from 1987 to 1994, was staying at his family’s caravan in the town.

He was arrested after failing a roadside breath test, with magistrates told he had downed two-and-a-half pints while watching a televised football match at a bar.

Former professional footballer David Martindale, 57, was pulled over and arrested when he failed a roadside breath test in Peel Hill, Blackpool, after drinking two-and-a-half pints whilst watching a televised football match at a barFormer professional footballer David Martindale, 57, was pulled over and arrested when he failed a roadside breath test in Peel Hill, Blackpool, after drinking two-and-a-half pints whilst watching a televised football match at a bar

The court was told it was Martindale’s fourth offence – with magistrates banning him from the roads for 40 months.

He was also told to pay £324 in fines and costs.

Fleetwood man stabbed by burglar who broke into his home in the middle of the night

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A man in his 60s was taken to hospital after being stabbed by a burglar who broke into his home in Fleetwood on Friday (July 16).

 

The man was stabbed several times by the intruder who demanded money after breaking into his home in Cherry Tree Court, Aughton Street at around 3.40am.

The knifeman fled the scene empty-handed after attacking the pensioner, who was later taken to hospital for urgent treatment.

Lancashire Police say his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

A man in his 60s was stabbed by a burglar who broke into his home in Cherry Tree Court, Aughton Street, Fleetwood at around 3.45am on Friday (July 16). Pic: GoogleA man in his 60s was stabbed by a burglar who broke into his home in Cherry Tree Court, Aughton Street, Fleetwood at around 3.45am on Friday (July 16). Pic: Google

No arrests have been made at this stage, but the force said an investigation is ongoing. The flat was taped off over the weekend whilst CSI and forensics worked at the scene.

Police have sought to reassure residents, saying the attack is believed to be an “isolated incident” and the victim had been “targeted”.

A police spokesman: “The call came in at 3.45am with a report of an aggravated burglary at an address close to Aughton Street.

“It is believed that a man broke into the address and made demands for money. The victim, in his sixties, was then assaulted with a knife and suffered cuts to his arms and legs.

“He was taken to hospital, however, his injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

“Nothing was stolen during the isolated incident, which is also believed to be targeted.”

Anyone with information can call us on 101 quoting incident reference 124 of July 16.

 

Labour leader Keir Starmer enters isolation after child tests positive for coronavirus

Home | Blackpool Gazette

Sir Keir Starmer will enter self-isolation after one of his children tested positive for coronavirus around the time he was in the Commons for Prime Minister’s Questions, a spokesman has said.

 

The Labour leader was said to have tested negative on Wednesday morning ahead of his appearance in Parliament where he grilled Boris Johnson over his isolation policy.

It will be the fourth time Sir Keir has had to enter quarantine since the pandemic began and will force him to alter plans to launch his “safer communities” campaign on Thursday.

A spokesman said: “One of Keir’s children tested positive for Covid this lunchtime. In line with the rules, Keir and his family will now be self-isolating.

“Keir was already doing daily tests and tested negative this morning. He will continue to take daily tests.”

Just after midday, Sir Keir accused the Prime Minister of ushering in a “summer of chaos”, criticising the confusion caused by his policy for self-isolation as Covid-19 cases soar.

Mr Johnson responded virtually via a screen in the Commons while in isolation at his country retreat, Chequers, following contact with Covid-positive Health Secretary Sajid Javid.

Sir Keir’s statement announcing that he will swiftly enter quarantine with his family will doubtless be contrasted with the Prime Minister’s own approach over the weekend.

Keir Starmer talks to council officials on the Comedy Carpet.Keir Starmer talks to council officials on the Comedy Carpet.

Mr Johnson and Chancellor Rishi Sunak initially tried to get around quarantine after being contacted by NHS Test and Trace by saying they would join a daily workplace testing programme.

Keir Starmer says skilled jobs and a conference return are among his hopes for B…

But they were forced to back down on the plans and enter isolation amid widespread public anger that they would be free while tens of thousands of people are forced to miss work or school over coronavirus contacts.

Addressing the television screen in the Commons chamber on Wednesday, Sir Keir accused Mr Johnson of having tried to “dodge” quarantine.

The Labour leader kicked off a summer out on the road with calls for skilled jobs to revitalise Blackpool during a walkabout in the resort on July 15.

He held a series of meetings and events across Blackpool during his two visit to launch Labour proposals, including a £15bn children’s recovery plan.

His proposals included breakfast clubs and small group tutoring to help children catch up, mental health support in schools and an extension of free school meals.

Speaking ahead of his visit, Mr Starmer said: “I’ve got plans to create opportunities for everyone, and I’m looking forward to debating them with local people in Blackpool.

“I’ll be having robust conversations with people, particularly those who didn’t vote Labour at the last election.”