Man dies in Blackpool after being found suffering from multiple stab wounds

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A man who suffered multiple stab wounds at a Blackpool house has died.

 

The man, in his 50s, was found by police officers at an address on Carsluith Avenue in Marton after they were called out on Friday, July 23, 2021 at 8.53pm to reports of a stabbing.

He was found with multiple stab wounds and was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital but he died a short time later.

A murder investigation has been launched and a 18-year-old man from Fleetwood has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Police officers were still at the scene in Carsluith Avenue, Marton on Sunday (July 25) morning.Police officers were still at the scene in Carsluith Avenue, Marton on Sunday (July 25) morning.

The teenager is currently in custody and a Home Office post mortem to establish the cause of death will take place.

Resort detectives have launched an appeal for people to come forward with information about the stabbing.

Det Supt Neil Drummond, of Lancashire Police, said: “A murder investigation is underway following the death of a man in Blackpool.

“These are very sad and tragic circumstances and my thoughts are with the man’s family at this very distressing time.

“While we have made an arrest we would continue to appeal to anyone with information or who feels they can assist with our enquiries to come forward.

“We recognise this will have caused some concern in the community but please be reassured incidents of this nature are rare and we have a dedicated team of detectives working on the investigation.”

Anyone with information is being asked to contact resort police on 101 and quote the log 1664 of June 23rd.

Alternatively independent charity Crimestoppers can be contacted on 0800 555 111.

 

Man charged with attempted murder after car strikes pedestrians on Blackpool Prom

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A man has been charged by detectives investigating an attempted murder in Blackpool.

Adam Clarke, 30 of Arnfield Road, Stockport has been charged with attempted murder, common assault, and dangerous driving after police were called around 5.25am Saturday (July 24) to reports that pedestrians had been hit by a car on Blackpool North Pier

Adam Clarke, 30 of Arnfield Road, Stockport has been charged with attempted murder, common assault, and dangerous driving after police were called around 5.25am Saturday (July 24) to reports that pedestrians had been hit by a car on Blackpool North Pier

Police were called around 5.25am on Saturday (July 24) to reports that a red Peugeot had driven at a small group of people on Blackpool North Pier.

Following enquiries a man was later arrested in connection with the incident.

Adam Clarke, 30 of Arnfield Road, Stockport has been charged with attempted murder, common assault, and dangerous driving.

He is due to appear at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court this morning (Monday, July 26).

 

Fleetwood teenager held on suspicion of murder after fatal Blackpool stabbing

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A Fleetwood teenager continues to be held in custody on suspicion of murder after a man in his 50s was stabbed to death in Blackpool at the weekend.

 

Detectives launched a murder investigation after the man died in hospital from multiple stab wounds shortly after the knife attack at a home in Carsluith Avenue, Marton at around 8.53pm on Friday (July 23).

An 18-year-old man from Fleetwood has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in custody today (Monday, July 26).

Det Supt Neil Drummond, of Lancashire Constabulary, said: “These are very sad and tragic circumstances and my thoughts are with the man’s family at this very distressing time.

Detectives launched a murder investigation after a man in his 50s died in hospital from multiple stab wounds shortly after a knife attack at a home in Carsluith Avenue, off Canterbury Avenue in Marton at around 8.53pm on Friday (July 23). Pic: GoogleDetectives launched a murder investigation after a man in his 50s died in hospital from multiple stab wounds shortly after a knife attack at a home in Carsluith Avenue, off Canterbury Avenue in Marton at around 8.53pm on Friday (July 23). Pic: Google

“While we have made an arrest we would continue to appeal to anyone with information or who feels they can assist with our inquiries to come forward.”

Anyone with information can contact police on 101 quoting log 1664 of June 23. Alternatively, independent charity Crimestoppers can be contacted on 0800 555 111.

 

19-year-old Preston man drowns after ‘getting into difficulty’ off St Annes pier

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A 19-year-old has died after a sea rescue in St Annes , the third drowning death connected to the Fylde coast in a week.

 

The man has is believed to have got into difficulty swimming in the sea close to the town’s pier as England’s heatwave came to an end.

Lancashire Police said in a statement that emergency services including the HM Coastguard were called to at around 7.20pm yesterday to reports of a person drowning in the Ribble estuary.

The man, from Preston, was rescued from the water and taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital but he died a short while later.

The 19-year-old died after getting into trouble off St Annes PierThe 19-year-old died after getting into trouble off St Annes Pier

A police spokesman said: “The man’s next of kin are being informed and our thoughts are with his loved ones at this time.

“Enquiries are ongoing to establish the exact circumstances surrounding his death and it is not currently being treated as suspicious.”

Three other people were also taken to hospital to be treated for water inhalation, but their injuries are not expected to be life threatening.

The death the follows the drowning of a Blackpool teen boxer, regarded as a ‘future world champion’, on Thursday.

Frank Varey, 16, died after drowning in a Cheshire river.

He had been a member of Sharpstyle ABC boxing gym in Blackpool and he was reported missing after swimming in the River Dee. His body was later recovered

The deaths come have come at a time where coastguard crews serving the Fylde coast have provided safety guidance for those visiting the beach for World Drowning Prevention Day today.

The global advocacy event aims to highlight the “tragic and profound impact of drowning on families and communities” and offer life-saving solutions to prevent it.

During this month alone, Fleetwood coastguard has been called out to 44 incidents.

Around 11 of those callouts were to people reported to be in difficulty in the water, amounting to around 20 people in total.

Police are appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident in St Annes yesterday to contact police on 101 or email 8121@lancashire.police.uk quoting log number 1515 of July 23.

Former Fleetwood army man jailed for “prowling” the internet and indulging in ‘depraved, cocaine-fuelled chats’ with children

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A former military man from Fleetwood has been jailed for nearly two years for soliciting sex with under-age ‘girls’ and “prowling” the internet for chats with children.

 

Mark Crompton, 46, of Lord Street in the town, was caught out after indulging in ‘depraved, cocaine-fuelled chats’ with what he thought to be a like-minded individual who had a ten-year-old daughter, York Crown Court heard.

In fact, the ‘father’ was an undercover police officer patrolling the internet for perverts and he reeled Crompton in by posing as a dad with an unhealthy interest in children.

Prosecutor Paul Abrahams said Crompton joined the ‘Kids Chat’ website with the username ‘School Teacher’ and sent a message to the undercover cop. They then moved onto the secure KIK app to continue their debauched conversations where Compton used his real name.

Mark Crompton, 46, of Lord Street, Fleetwood has been jailedMark Crompton, 46, of Lord Street, Fleetwood has been jailed

“In that chat, the defendant requested images including those of sexual acts (by the ‘daughter’),” added Mr Abrahams.

Crompton – who was living in Ripon, North Yorkshire, at the time – also asked the ‘father’ if he could meet his ‘daughter’ in Cambridgeshire, where the officer told him they lived.

“(Crompton) talked about the sexual abuse of children and sent pictures of a child in a skirt to the undercover officer,” said Mr Abrahams.

Acting on evidence gathered by the decoy, police swooped on Crompton’s home in Ripon in August 2019.

Crompton told them: “It’s all other people as well – they have been sending me pictures. I didn’t know it was a crime.”

He told police he had lost his job and had been sleeping in a van, and that he had been “talking online because I have no-one else to talk to”.

Officers seized electronic devices from Crompton’s home including a mobile phone on which police found 21 different chat logs with “numerous users” including those identifying as children, two of whom lived in the UK.

One of those was a 13-year-old girl but Mr Abrahams said the Crown couldn’t prove that she was a real child.

The chats with this ‘girl’ occurred during a one-week period between June and July 2019, when Crompton asked to meet her after photos were exchanged and “talked about going away with her to Spain and having children with her”.

He told the ‘girl’ she was making him “horny” and said he wanted to have sex with her and “take her virginity”.

Mr Abrahams said Crompton’s sordid plans involved “potentially raping her” as a girl of her age could not give consent in the eyes of the law, although there was no evidence to suggest he intended to meet her.

Crompton had talked about having sex with the girl in his van with a “uniform on”, but the girl told him she “wouldn’t consent to that”.

Police also found 35 indecent images of children on Crompton’s phone, as well as nine prohibited photos of minors.

He had installed encrypted software on his mobile to download vile images of children between three and eight years of age.

He was arrested and hauled in for questioning but told officers he never intended to meet any of the ‘children’ and put his odious behaviour down to “cocaine use”.

He was charged with two counts of attempting to engage in sexual communication with a child, two counts of making indecent images and one count of possessing prohibited images of minors. He admitted all charges and appeared for sentence on Friday.

Mr Abrahams said that Crompton had been involved in a network of online paedophiles who sent him pictures from chatrooms. He had three previous convictions for “unrelated matters”.

Defence barrister Joseph Hudson said Crompton had led a “decent life (and had) a good job until middle age” when “problems emerged”.

He added that Crompton, who was a full-time carer for his partner, had since been seeing a psychiatrist.

Judge Sean Morris, the Recorder of York, told Crompton: “You were skulking around the internet looking for communications with teenage girls (and wanting) to talk about sex.”

He said that although no actual arrangements were made to take one of the girls to Spain, Crompton thought “that person was real, and it was vivid sexual chat”.

He said although Crompton had led an otherwise “good and industrious life” and served his country in the army in his younger years, “you have brought complete shame (upon yourself) and you are responsible for your own downfall”.

“Everything has come crashing down and as a result of your behaviour you ended up in a psychiatric hospital for a short period…and I dare say it was the drink and possibly the drugs that loosened your inhibitions (on the internet),” added the judge.

Crompton will serve half of the 23-month jail sentence behind bars before being released on prison licence. He was also placed on the sex-offenders’ register for ten years and made subject to a six-year sexual-harm prevention order designed primarily to curb his internet activities.

Demolition notice submitted for Cleveleys flats

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A notice to knock down two properties in Cleveleys has been submitted to Wyre Council after they “fell into disrepair.”

 

Housing group Regenda Homes submitted a prior notification of demolition to Wyre Council for two semi-detached houses on Rossall Road in Cleveleys.

The two properties were knocked through to convert the former houses into six flats known as Prospect Court, and a bungalow extension to the back is also set to be knocked down.

The work is expected to take place between August 6 and August 27, and a “proposed replacement dwelling” was being discussed, documents showed.

Prior notice for the demolition of six flats and a bungalow on Rossall Road has been submitted to Wyre Council.

Prior notice for the demolition of six flats and a bungalow on Rossall Road has been submitted to Wyre Council.

Regenda Homes said the flats were being demolished after “the building fell into a state of disrepair.”

Blackpool man arrested after cyclist is sprayed with bleach in attempted robbery

Home | Blackpool Gazette

A 28-year-old man has been arrested after a thief sprayed a Blackpool cyclist with bleach in an attempt to rob his bike at the weekend.

 

The attempted robbery happened at around 2.50pm in Abingdon Street on Sunday (July 25), with a suspect later arrested outside Coral Island on the Prom, half-a-mile away. Pic: Google

The attempted robbery happened at around 2.50pm in Abingdon Street on Sunday (July 25), with a suspect later arrested outside Coral Island on the Prom, half-a-mile away. Pic: Google

The attempted robbery happened at around 2.50pm in Abingdon Street on Sunday (July 25), with a suspect reportedly detained by police outside Coral Island on the Prom, half-a-mile away.

Lancashire Police said it had received reports that a “corrosive substance” had been sprayed during the attempted theft.

North West Ambulance Service said one of its crews “treated someone at the scene but didn’t take them to hospital.”

Today (Monday, July 26), the force said the substance is believed to have been bleach and the man, from Blackpool, has been arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery.

He remains in custody this morning (Monday, July 26).

A police spokesman said: “A man has been squirted with what is thought to be bleach in an attempted robbery of his bike.

“A 28-year-old man from Blackpool was arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery and remains in police custody.”