World Fireworks Championships: New Blackpool launch pad and revised dates

LancsLive - Latest news, sport, business and more from Lancashire

Blackpool Council has changed the dates of the World Firework Championships and families are urged to make a note of them to avoid disappointed children

 

The World Fireworks Championship in Blackpool
The World Fireworks Championship in Blackpool (Image: Visit Blackpool)

Blackpool’s famous World Fireworks Championships are set to take place on a new launch-pad this year located over the beach in front of Blackpool Tower.

Last year the annual pyrotechnic extravaganza, usually launched from the North Pier, was cancelled due to Coronavirus restrictions which made it impossible to stage the four events that should have ran from September to October.

For 2021, Blackpool Council has changed the dates of the free event and families are urged to make a note of them to avoid disappointed children.

The Roy Chubby Brown pre-fireworks show will still take place at 6pm on Friday, September 10.

The stunning displays set to music, will take place on alternate Saturday evenings.

The countries that will compete for the title in 2021 are Germany, Russia and Ireland, with the fourth Saturday a showcase event by one of Europe’s leading fireworks companies, Titanium.

The new dates are as follows:

  • Saturday, 11 September: Russia
  • Saturday, 25 September: Ireland
  • Saturday, 9 October: Germany
  • Saturday, 23 October: Celebratory display and winners announcement from Titanium Fireworks.
Who's ready to see some fireworks?
Who’s ready to see some fireworks? (Image: Dave Nelson)

Over the years, the World Fireworks Championship Blackpool has become one of the resort’s biggest draws and last night (August 31) the much-loved Ride The Lights event returned to a traffic-free promenade.

This is a preview of the Illuminations before the official switch-on later this week that begins an extended Illuminations season starting on Friday 3 September and running through to January 3, 2022.

Councillor Lynn Williams, Leader of Blackpool Council, said: “After more than a year of having to cancel and postpone shows and events, we are delighted to be able to announce that two of our biggest free events will go ahead over the coming months.

“These are free family events that are hugely popular with residents and visitors alike.

“We hope that by moving the fireworks to Saturdays it will give people more time to come into the centre of Blackpool during the daytime and enjoy some of the many other attractions on offer before watching the fireworks finale.”

All displays at subject to suitable weather conditions, the council says.

Due to the popularity of the World Fireworks Championship in Blackpool, there may be traffic delays arriving and leaving the event.

Take extra time to arrive and it is suggested that if travelling by car to park in the southern car parks and use the tramway to travel to the event. Alternative public transport via the rail systems and buses are also recommended.

The event starts from 7.30pm, with the first fireworks firing from approximately 8.00pm.