These are this week’s cases and convictions from Blackpool Magistrates’ Court – Monday, November 15 to Friday, November 19, 2021

Home | Blackpool Gazette

Here is the latest round-up of cases from Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.


Fleetwood man accused of making a malicious phone call, assault, and threatening behaviour

A Fleetwood man elected to stand trial at Preston Crown Court.

Blackpool Magistrates' Court

Blackpool Magistrates’ Court

Luke Anyon, 26, of Mount Road, is accused of making a malicious phone call, assault, and threatening behaviour.

Appearing in the dock in the resort on Monday (November 15), he was bailed by magistrates until his crown court date on Wednesday, December 15.

Blackpool man accused of stealing handbags from elderly woman

Bernard Elvish Boswell, 37, of Elizabeth Street, Blackpool, appeared in court accused of stealing handbags from elderly women he targeted in supermarkets.

He is also accused of growing £10,000 of cannabis in a town centre flat, possessing cannabis, and stealing £2,500 of electricity.

He was bailed ahead of an appearance at Preston Crown Court on Wednesday, December 15.

Fleetwood woman was three times over the drink-drive limited when she crashed her car

A woman was three times over the legal drink-drive limit when she crashed her car, Blackpool Magistrates’ Court was told.

Melissa Row blew 144 – above the limit of 35 – during a breath test at the side of the road, Deputy District Judge Phil Barnes was told.

Former NHS worker Row, 28, of Blakiston Street, Fleetwood, later tried – but failed – to give the required breath sample at the police station.

She pleaded guilty to failing to provide a specimen when she appeared in the dock on Tuesday (November 16).

Sentencing her, the judge said: “It is quite clear you were intoxicated. The reading was excessively high.”

Steven Townley, defending, said Row was suffering a mental health crisis and had stopped taking her medication at the time of the crash.

Row was given a one-year community punishment with 20 rehabilitation days.

She must wear an alcohol abstinence tag for 90 days, pay £180 costs, and was banned from driving for two years.

Banned driver spotted by eagle-eyed traffic cop

An eagle-eyed traffic cop pulled over a car after spotting smoke spewing from its exhaust – and discovered its driver was banned.

Wesley Kennedy, 34, of Eamont Place, Fleetwood, admitted disqualified driving when he appeared in the dock on Tuesday (November 16).

He was given an eight-week suspended jail sentence, given an eight-week curfew, and told to complete 20 rehabilitation days.

He must also do an extended retest before being allowed to get behind the

wheel again.

Blackpool Magistrates’ Court was told Kennedy, a scrap metal collector, had bought the car to sell on.

Builder banned after driving erratically along the M55 on a journey to pick up a mirror while drunk

A builder got drunk before deciding to drive down to the motorway to pick up a mirror he had seen advertised for sale on the internet, Blackpool Magistrates’ Court was told.

David Murray, 43, of King Street, Morecambe, drove so erratically on the M55 other motorists called police, who stopped him on Preston New Road, Marton, the court was told on Tuesday (November 16).

Murray blew over the legal drink-drive limit and was arrested.

He appeared in the dock to plead guilty to drink-driving and was banned from the roads for 19 months.

He must also pay £470 in fines and costs.

Blackpool man charged with attacking woman

Leroy King, 42, of Ashburton Road, North Shore, will stand trial at Preston Crown Court after being charged with attacking a woman on Sunday.

He was remanded in custody by resort magistrates on Tuesday (November 16) and was scheduled to next appear on Wednesday, December 15.

Man failed to keep probation appointments

Jack McCabe, 19, of the Promenade, Blackpool, was fined £145 by resort magistrates after failing to keep appointments with the probation service.

The court was told he had found work at a hotel.

Blackpool man fined

James Owen, 33, of Miller Street, South Shore, was fined by magistrates on Tuesday (November 16) after admitting being drunk and disorderly outside his ex-partner’s resort home.

When police told Owen to leave St Chad’s Road he refused, Blackpool Magistrates’ Court was told.

Sex-offender ordered to do 100 hours unpaid work

Sex offender Laurence Hull, 23, was given 100 hours unpaid work by magistrates after moving to Blackpool and forgetting to tell police of his new address.

Hull, of Pleasant Street in the resort, admitted two breaches of requirements.

Conspiracy to supply cocaine and cannabis

Yassar Khan, 38, of Merton Terrace, Lytham, will stand trial at Preston Crown Court after being charged with conspiracy to supply cocaine and cannabis in the town last year.

Hit-and-run drink-driver found hiding under his bed

A drunk-driver who fled a hit-and-run crash was found hiding under his bed by police, Blackpool Magistrates’ Court was told.

Ryan Walmsley, 21, of Collins Avenue, Bispham, had been boozing at a pub before driving off and hitting another car, causing £12,000 of damage, the court was told on Wednesday (November 17).

He drove off and went home – where police officers discovered him in hiding, the court heard.

Defending, Robert Castle said: “He is far from proud and he apologises to the lady driver involved. He drank over the limit and panicked.”

Walmsley, who admitted drink-driving and failing to stop after an accident when he appeared in the dock, was banned from driving for two years and ordered to work for 60 hours unpaid.

Hotel worker attacked boss over wages

A hotel worker attacked her boss during a row over wages.

Charlene Green, 33, of Coop Street, Blackpool, was angry after the seafront hotel owner refused to hand over her wages because she hadn’t taken a proof of identity with her, Blackpool Magistrates’ Court was told.

She hit him in the head and ripped his jacket, before turning on another worker who stepped in.

Green admitted the two attacks and criminal damage and was ordered to work unpaid for 100 hours, pay £150 compensation, and complete 15 rehabilitation days.

The hotel’s owner told the court in a statement he now fears working alone.

Attack on a police officer

A St Annes woman admitted attacking a police officer.

Light Ediand, 22, of Lightburne Avenue, had been arrested on suspicion of a separate matter and, once inside the police station, hit an officer on the hand with a metal detector wand, Blackpool Magistrates’ Court was told on Thursday (November 18).

Ediand had her sentencing adjourned by magistrates so pre-sentence reports can be prepared on her.

Woman woke to find ex-partner in her bedroom

A woman woke up to find her ex-partner in her bedroom, Blackpool Magistrates’ Court was told.

John Gill admitted causing £400 damage by breaking into his victim’s home in Leeds Road, Blackpool, because he was upset at not being allowed to see his children.

After also admitting breaching a non-molestation order, he was given a 12-week suspended jail term, ordered to pay £400 compensation, and do 35 rehabilitation days.

The woman was woken up by a noise and saw Gill standing in her bedroom doorway, the court was told.

He then left – but was arrested after she called police.

Defending, Brett Chappell told the court: “He could not accept that, after a 17-year relationship, he was unable to see his children.”

Man stole £200 of electrical goods from B&M

Daniel Sheehan, 26, of no fixed address, admitted shoplifting at B&M in Blackpool, where he stole £200 of electrical goods, magistrates were told.

He will be sentenced at a later date once reports have been compiled on him.

The court was told Sheehan had stolen to feed his drug habit.

Man charged following Morecambe shooting

A man appeared before magistrates after being charged with attempted murder following a shooting.

Levi McCandlish was in the dock at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court today (Friday) after allegedly using a homemade gun to shoot Scott McIvor through the eye in an alleyway off Skipton Street, Morecambe, on Monday.

Magistrates sent McCandlish, 26, of Borwick Court in the seaside town, for trial at Preston Crown Court.

He will appear there on Monday, December 20.

Bail was refused.

Mr McIvor remains in hospital and suffered life-changing injuries, the court was told.

A number of arrests were made after the shooting, which happened at 6pm.

Two Lancaster boys, 13 and 16, and a 55-year-old Morecambe man were also held on suspicion of attempted murder, while a 41-year-old woman from Lancaster was arrested on suspicion of assisting offenders.

Patrols were stepped up in the area after the attack.