Blackpool is renowned for its landmarks from the three piers to the world famous Blackpool Tower.
Here we look back at some of the town’s most famous landmarks from years gone by.
Do any of these buildings bring back fond memories for you, or have we missed any famous structures that live long in your memory? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. ABC Cinema
The building originally opened on July 4, 1895. From 1900 it became the Hippodrome Theatre which closed 1960, reopening In 1963 as the ABC Theatre. In December 2002 the building began life as the Syndicate Night Club, closing its doors in 2010, with the building finally being demolished in August 2015.
2. Alhambra Theatre
Originally known as The Alhambra Theatre when it opened in 1899, the building was sold to the Blackpool Tower Company in July 1903 and opened in 1904 as The Palace Theatre. It was demolished in 1961.
3. Blackpool Bus Station
The 1960s bus station stopped running services from this site in 2002. In 2006 the bus station was earmarked for demolition, but was kept as part of the 227 million redevelopment – the Talbot Gateway project – to revitalise the area.
4. Blackpool Central
Opening as “Hounds Hill” on April 6, 1863 the building was later renamed “Blackpool Central” in 1878. The station closed on November 2, 1964, and was partially used as a bingo hall in its final years before being demolished in 1973.
5. Derby Baths
Derby baths opened in 1939, the official opening was scheduled for 1940 but was delayed due to the war. It wasn’t until 1965 when the Earl of Derby could do the ceremony. The baths closed in 1990.
6. Great Wheel
The London Eye of its day, Blackpool’s Great Wheel on Coronation Street was a wonder of the Victorian Age. It was built in 1896, at the south west corner of the Winter Gardens. It was dismantled in 1928.
7. Layton Flats
Charles Court, Ashworth Court, Elizabeth Court and Churchill Court were built in the 1960s, with Walter Robinson Court following in 1972. The flats were an architects bold vision of the future, building up instead of across.
8. Locarno ballroom
The Locarno ballroom opened in April 1965. During late 70s it was renamed Tiffany. In 1998 it opened as Some Place Else, but closed in 1999, later becoming a bowling alley and the Rhythm Dome nightclub. The building was demolished in 2009.
Known as Pontins Blackpool, the holiday camp was technically located over the border, in St Annes. The site closed in October 2009 for a housing development.
10. Star Inn
Built in 1931 to replace the original inn, which stood just a few yards from the sea. It was re-opened by the Pleasure Beach under the name The Apple and Parrot, in July 2014 following renovation. The building was shut down for good in 2016.
11. The Grosvenor
Built in 1874 the hotel was demolished in 2007 to make way for a car park.
The building became home to the Blackpool Gazette, which was later demolished to make way for Pizza Hut, KFC and Blockbusters – better known as “Fat Man’s Corner”.
13. Yates’s Win Lodge
The building opened in 1868 as The Theatre Royal and Assembly Rooms, later becoming Yates’s Wine Lodge in 1896. The building was demolished, following a devastating fire in February 2009.